James Braddock was granted his first alehouse licence for The Sportsman’s Arms in 1805, the deeds describing it as ‘ a dwelling house, Public House, stables, shippons and brew house’!  There is still evidence of the stables in the cellar today. The pub was ideally situated and enjoyed a monopoly on trade passing along the Strines Road. The nearby Print Works had begun operating in the 1790s with the accompanying coming and going of much horse drawn traffic.  The Peak Forest Canal, flowing parallel to Strines Road, was also at its busiest in those early years of the century and the fact that the pub warranted its own brew house gives some indication of the volume of business it enjoyed.
The importance of the pub and the clientele it attracted is evident from the fact that major auctions of land and farms were held here in the early 1800s. Major rebuilding/renovations took place in the late 1800s  as the selling price of the pub escalated from £655 in 1872 to £2,250 in 1876.
The last major alterations to the inside of the pub took place in 1970 giving a spacious lounge and intimate tap room, with the panoramic window and fireplace being added in 2001 and the balcony shortly after.
Taken from “Last Orders Please” with kind permission of Jack Turnbull.